Discover the building blocks of movement throughout the full repertoire of Pilates mat exercises as executed in their pure form. Learn the techniques that focus on group dynamics for mat exercises while evaluating and applying Polestar principles.
The Pilates Mat course is a 2 x two-day program with labs for performing and teaching. This course is ideal for personal trainers and group exercise instructors, instructors of movement arts such as dance, yoga, and Tai Chi, practitioners of somatic movement such as Feldenkrais® and Alexander® Techniques.
The Pilates mat course enables fitness professionals to incorporate Polestar Pilates exercises into their training. Learn how to design programs and exercise sequences for group and one-on-one training. Theory and practice of Polestar principles and instruction techniques are applied to each exercise. Verbal, tactile and combined cueing practices are addressed to facilitate motor learning.
- Certified fitness instructor or instructor of movement arts (e.g. yoga, Tai Chi, practitioners of somatic movement)
- Participation in 25 hours of group or private Pilates classes
- Completion of Polestar Principles Online – in your own time prior to M-1 (see below)
- Strongly recommended: One semester of basic anatomy/physiology or equivalent
The Polestar Pilates Mat Series consists of 2 two day courses and need to be taken in the following order: Polestar Principles Online, M-1, M-2
PO – Principles Online – in your own time
The first part of the course to be completed for all Polestar Series is Principles Online (PO). This non-apparatus course applies current research in movement science, biomechanics, kinesiology and motor learning to instructional practice through six basic movement principles that are utilised throughout the Polestar curriculum.
The PO course also introduces Polestar Pilates Screening, which includes postural evaluation and functional testing, to prepare participants to properly design and implement Pilates exercises for patients and clients. This unique component significantly enhances decisionmaking skills as a Pilates practitioner.
The online course is divided into the following 8 segments, can be taken in multiple sittings and can be watched several times for optimal learning:
- Principle 1: Breathing
- Principle 2: Axial Elongation & Core Control
- Principle 3: Spine Articulation
- Principle 4: Organization of the Head, Neck, and Shoulders
- Principle 5: Alignment & Weight Bearing of the Extremities
- Principle 6: Movement Integration
- Principles: Additional Resources
Short quizzes are offered throughout to identify the most important concepts and to help students organise their thoughts and study time.
PO Learning Outcomes
Upon completion you will be able to:
- Deepen your knowledge in current evidence-based research pertaining to movement science, motor learning, bioenergetics and communication
- Understand the Polestar Principles of Movement
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly execute and teach over 130 exercises and their variations
- Be able to use the ICF Model or the Polestar Screening, specifically designed for the movement professional, which includes postural evaluation and functional testing to determine your clients’ strengths, weaknesses and goals
Please note that for those participants undertaking more than one Polestar Series course, it is only required to complete PO ONE time. So if for example, you want to complete the Polestar Comprehensive Series after you have completed the Mat Series, you do not have to redo PO.
Once payment has been received, access will be provided to the online resources.
By 30 April
6 & 7 May
17 & 18 June
Course fees include attendance at lectures, student manuals and handouts, morning and afternoon teas, as well as GST. Students are responsible for all personal extras, such as travel and accommodation and personal supplies and lunch during the course dates.
|Early Bird Price
|Normal Package Price
|Early Bird Saving
- * Normal Package Price – post Early Bird date
- ** Early Bird Price – Wellington – if registered and paid in full by 15 April 2017
- Should you require a payment option other than credit card, please contact us by clicking here
- Exam Fees are not included in the Course Fees
Polestar Pilates NZ has a Payment Plan available which enables you to pay for your enrolment over a period of time, rather than in one go. The Payment Plan is available on Normal Package Prices only and incurs a one-time non-refundable handling fee of $100.
Payments are required on the 1st of each of the months outlined below. Late payment penalty or credit card decline penalty of $50 will apply.
For the Mat Series, the following applies:
|Normal Price incl. Handling Fee
|1 May $780
|1 June $780
- * Deposit of $800 is required at the time of registration